CharlotteBuriedinBooks

CharlotteBuriedinBooks

Dragons of Autumn Twilight
Tracy Hickman, Margaret Weis
This Man Confessed (This Man, #3)
Jodi Ellen Malpas
31 Bond Street
Ellen Horan
Betrayal in Death (In Death #12)
J.D. Robb
Lover at Last
J.R. Ward
The Executor
Jesse Kellerman
City of Bones
Cassandra Clare
Dark Beginnings (Lords of the Underworld 6)
Gena Showalter
Blood Promise
Richelle Mead
Deadly Decisions
Kathy Reichs
Affinity Bridge - George Mann My first foray into Steampunk was through The Parasol Protectorate and I love those books. The Affinity Bridge and is an altogether more serious affair. In a way it takes itself far too seriously and would have benefited from a touch of humour (a la Gail Carriger).

Sir Maurice Newbury and Miss Veronica Hobbes, Investigators of the Crown - by day they work at the British Museum, by night (or when they feel like it) helping Scotland Yard with all manner of supernatural problems - like a glowing policeman that likes to strangle people, hordes of zombies (or revenants as they are called here) and a mysterious airship crash. Throw in some bonkers automatons and away you go.

Elements of Newbury remind me of Sherlock Holmes, he has a brilliant mind and is addicted to laudanum. I found it quite hard to believe that this is the first in a series though, as Hobbes and Newbury already behave as though they are fighting a physical attraction.

My main gripe though is that the author appears to be trying too hard with his writing, it is overly flowery and incredibly old fashioned (yes, I know it's set in the early 1900's but there were too many "I say old man"'s etc). The depiction of Queen Victoria was rather troubling, wheelchair bound - hooked up to a device to help her breathe and artificially elongate her life (tubes protruding from underneath her breasts). I didn't like that particular aspect of the story.

There was a nice twist at the end, so of course I'll carry on and read the next one - I just hope it gets better.