CharlotteBuriedinBooks

CharlotteBuriedinBooks

Dragons of Autumn Twilight
Tracy Hickman, Margaret Weis
This Man Confessed (This Man, #3)
Jodi Ellen Malpas
31 Bond Street
Ellen Horan
Betrayal in Death (In Death #12)
J.D. Robb
Lover at Last
J.R. Ward
The Executor
Jesse Kellerman
City of Bones
Cassandra Clare
Dark Beginnings (Lords of the Underworld 6)
Gena Showalter
Blood Promise
Richelle Mead
Deadly Decisions
Kathy Reichs
Linger  - Maggie Stiefvater I loved Shiver, one of the best books I've read in a long time, so I guess I had high expectations of Linger. It doesn't live up to the high standard that Shiver set, but it's still an extremely good book.

From the start you know that Grace will end up as a wolf - the only question is how it will happen. She spends most of the book ill, knowing that something is very wrong and knowing that it's somehow linked to the wolves. The realisation that the wolves tend to die about 10 years after their last shift throws open the question of whether its linked to the shifting or the underlying reason for the shifting (a wolf toxin/disease). This whole area is opened up by on the new wolves - Cole, lead singer of a rock band who decided to let Beck turn him - because he wants to escape his life and would rather be a wolf than kill himself.

I have to admit that for a large part of the book I really couldn't stand Cole - or Isabel for that matter. Isabel is full of rage for most of this book, which I guess is understandable. She's full of guilt as she feels she did nothing to try and save her brother Jack. Graces's parents were also another reason that I struggled a bit with this book as they suddenly seemed to wake up to the fact that they had a daughter and tried to ground her/forbid her to see Sam ever again blah, blah, blah.

The one reason that I kept reading was Sam. He really is one of the best characters I've ever come across. He can't quite believe that he is cured. His feeling of helplessness as he realised he was loosing Grace - one way or another, was heartbreaking. But he also faces the fact that his cure, isn't a cure - that in 10/15 years time (although as he got less years shifting I can't help thinking that he'd let less time with his 'cure' as well) he'd be in the same position as Grace.

Cole needs to figure this one out - he also needs to figure out if being a wolf is what he really wants, because I think he could be happy with Isabel.

Do I really have to wait until next summer for the next book?