CharlotteBuriedinBooks

CharlotteBuriedinBooks

Dragons of Autumn Twilight
Tracy Hickman, Margaret Weis
This Man Confessed (This Man, #3)
Jodi Ellen Malpas
31 Bond Street
Ellen Horan
Betrayal in Death (In Death #12)
J.D. Robb
Lover at Last
J.R. Ward
The Executor
Jesse Kellerman
City of Bones
Cassandra Clare
Dark Beginnings (Lords of the Underworld 6)
Gena Showalter
Blood Promise
Richelle Mead
Deadly Decisions
Kathy Reichs
The Iron King (The Iron Fey, #1) - Julie Kagawa Everyone really seems to like this series, so I thought I'd see what all the fuss was about.

Meghan Chase lives quietly with her family in the middle if nowhere, an outsider at school all she has is her bestfriend Robbie. One night her brother Ethan is replaced with a Changeling and Meghan learns that she must go into the Nevernever to rescue her brother from the Fey. She also finds out that she is the daughter of King Oberon, King of the Summer Court, Robbie is actually Puck, who was sent to guard her and most of the fey want to cause her somekind of harm or make really bad deals with her. Unknown to most of the fey there is another court - the Iron Court (bourne of the worlds technology fears) and it is the Iron King that has her brother.

Right off the bat I have to say - that this is an author that really likes movies/reading. There were a couple of things that leapt out at me:

1) The whole "Brother taken away by Faeries" reminded me strongly of the movie Labyrinth (David Bowie rocks). Where a young girl (Jennifer Connelly) had to go after her brother who had been taken by the Goblin King.

2) The final set piece with Meghan releasing Ash from the fountain just screamed Return of the Jedi at me, I could almost hear Han Solo and Princess Leia, while Jabba the Hut laughed in the background.

3) Grimalkin just reminded me of the Cheshire Cat.

Havin said that this wasn't half bad. The action really didn't stop once Meghan entered the Nevernever. I just wanted a bit more depth to her, one minute she couldn't make herself invisible and the next she's pulling massive amounts of power to overwhelm the Iron King (it was only the third time she'd tried to access her power). So the depth of her character I felt was sacrificed to keep the action moving.

What the hell happened to Puck? I kept expecting him to show up at the end and - nothing. Just Ash trying to protect her while all the Iron was slowly killing him. What is the deal with him? Does Ash really care for her? Will she ever see her family again? Will she ever get away from the Winter Court? I guess I'll have to read the next one to find out.