CharlotteBuriedinBooks

CharlotteBuriedinBooks

Dragons of Autumn Twilight
Tracy Hickman, Margaret Weis
This Man Confessed (This Man, #3)
Jodi Ellen Malpas
31 Bond Street
Ellen Horan
Betrayal in Death (In Death #12)
J.D. Robb
Lover at Last
J.R. Ward
The Executor
Jesse Kellerman
City of Bones
Cassandra Clare
Dark Beginnings (Lords of the Underworld 6)
Gena Showalter
Blood Promise
Richelle Mead
Deadly Decisions
Kathy Reichs
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz - L. Frank Baum OK, so this was a trip back to my childhood - part of my ongoing quest to re-visit some classics.

I originally read this when I was very young. It's surprising how much the movie had replaced the book in my head.

For a start I had completely forgotten that the shoes weren't Ruby, but Silver. The Wicked Witch also wasn't that wicked really - I mean she was afraid of the dark. It's amazing how differently you look at things when you're older.

How the Scarecrow, Tin Man and Cowardly Lion are looking for something they clearly already possess and demonstrate constantly through the story. The placebo effect - they needed the wizard to give them a token as a symbol

When you see a resident of Oz ask Toto what he wants to ask the Wizard for - you suddenly realise it's because they assume Toto can talk - like all the other animals.

The fact that all the residents of the Emerald city wear glasses, that are locked onto their heads - so they can't see that everything in the city isn't actually green - green tinted spectacles.

It's such a simple tale, simply told. With that slightly bloodthirsty slant (with the death of wolves, crows, bees etc with the use of Axe and bare hands!) that all great fairy tales have.

The land of dainty china was a bit freaky though.